Blackbird Cafe, Cockle Bay Wharf

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A few years ago Blackbird Cafe used to be the "go-to" place because of their drinks which all seemed reeeaaaally cool to a high school-me. The location seemed really classy as well because it was at the top of the stairs overlooking a nice view of Darling Harbour. Not so much anymore though, which is why I was really surprised when one of my friends, Cathy set this place as the location for her 22nd birthday dinner. We also had decided to exchange KK presents this day so it was really fun!

Something went really wrong with the booking though which was a little frustrating. Cathy had booked for 9 people at 7PM. Instead, when Jas came in to claim the booked table first she found out they had gotten the booking sooooo completely wrong... "Chappy, 7 people at 9PM". CHAPPY. HOW?! GG. Luckily it was an empty Monday night so it was fixed without an issue. But imagine if it was really crowdy and all booked out...





We were seated on a big table outside which was nice because that day was really hot and humid.


The menus have changed since I last visited back in 2013! I feel like its gotten smaller..

I traveled to the cafe with my boyfriend, Francis and because we were a little late everyone had decided to go ahead and order entrees first. How kind! HAHAHA I'm not the kind of person to order entrees anyway. Tried one of the chicken wings (6pc for $14) which were nothing special... bland I might even say.. and there were these Arancini balls with pumpkin, peas, mozarella and chilli mayo, pictured below...

Arancini balls $17

... which I was going to eat because there were leftovers... until the waitress came and abruptly took them away. I didn't even have time to notice she took them until it was too late. WHY DIDN'T SHE ASK?! So rude!! That being said the service is kind of so-so. Some staff members are nice, but mostly I feel like they just hate their jobs and are taking it out on us. Unfriendly vibes kinda thing..

It took me so long to choose a main to order because tbh everything on the menu seemed quite average and at the same time overpriced. You can probably tell I don't quite love this place as much as I thought I would.... additionally on a note I'm much more proud of, you can tell I try my best to make sure my friends don't touch their food until I get a picture. HAHHAHA :'-)

But in this case, some people were too far away on the table.. and just as our food all arrived, Cathys surprise birthday card and a pen had made its way to my seat. Do you know how hard it is to sign a card when the birthday girl is right next to you?

Jasmines: Spaghetti Bolognese $22

Francis': Tropical Pizza w/ leg ham, caramelized pineapple & roma tomatoes $21
- This is listed as $21 but on the bill it came up as $15!! SCORE!
- I love crust, but something about this crust was very no

Annemarys: Chorizo pizza w/ chorizo, spanish onion, mushroom, smoked paprika, and capsicum salsa $24
- Same thing as the pizza above. It came up as $15!

Fionas: Chicken & Quinoa Salad $25

Cathys: Seafood Crepe w/ mushroom, tomato, spanish onions, squid, prawns, cream and white wine sauce + Chips $26
- For this price I was hoping for her sake, there would be a little more seafood in it..

My dish: Fettucini Palermo w/ chicken, bacon, mushroom, pesto & snow peas $25
- I loooove a good pasta, but unfortunately this was HEAVY as. Heavy on the oil. I mean the whole dish wasn't bad until half way through when I saw the remaining pasta swimming in oil. Cry.

The look of people who all just ate a plate of carbs :')


Cathys birthday present time & also KK present times was such a good laugh!


It turned out Cathy was my KK and she got me these amazing portable speakers that light up in various colours and styles. It's so pretty and such good quality! I love it! Thank you again ~


Tfw your boyfriend is unimpressed with you taking photos of everything :'(

I had a good night that time despite the food and service! Another time I went to Blackbird Cafe back in 2013, was for my friend Maria's birthday. Also a good night (fun fact: it was the day I got my cat) but also exactly as it is now, overpriced and average :( The menu also was more extensive back then so I can't tell you the exact names and prices for these, just thought it'd be fun to share!

Spaghetti Bolognese $22

Roast Lamb Pizza $27

Portuguese Chicken Burger
- This was good but the chicken was so small!

Some variation of Fettucini they used to have, I loved this one!


TL;DR
Price: Expensive, not great value
Service: Generally unfriendly, unenthusiastic
Quality: Decent
Ambience: Noisy and loud



Blackbird Cafe
Balcony Level, Cockle Bay Wharf
Harbour St, Sydney

Blackbird Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe