Zero Degrees, Sydney

Sunday, October 09, 2016


Hidden under the escalator stairs at Regents Place is Zero Degrees. It is a Korean cold dessert shop that sells a variety of popsicles, ice cream, bingsoo (shaved ice dessert), and of course the famous puffer fish ice cream. Now I know what you're thinking - ewwww fish + ice cream?! So you'll be relieved to know that this fish component actually refers to the fish-shaped waffle the ice cream is served in. And also that's all I have ever come here for.

I'm in love with the Korean fish waffle ice cream that you can get in packages in the Korean grocery stores. If it's not that that I pick up, it would be the other variations of waffle ice cream. It's sort of a play on Japanese taiyaki. But anyway, I was really keen to try what a more… "fresh" version would be like.


The small little stall of Zero Degrees is quite trendy with its sleek black walls and rainbow neon lights. In the corner, the wall is white and there's usually a whole bunch of people using it to take their photos. Or is that just me?

It's really busy on this day that I came here and I suspect it has to do with the popularity of these puffer fish ice creams on the 'gram! The staff are actually quite nice in my opinion as they flip busily back and forth between serving customers and assembling orders. This entire little space smells like freshly-made waffles and it's heaven.

The choices on offer for the ice cream are taro, vanilla or tiramisu. Without a doubt, I chose taro! But also with vanilla because it would look pretty swirled together for the picture HAHAHA

Puffer Fish Ice Cream in Taro & Vanilla $6.50
How cute does this look! I did not realise it came with an extra banana and strawberry fruit stick, awesome! The ice cream was actually soft serve and it went so well with the puffer fish waffle but it was more on the icy side rather than being completely creamy. The waffle was enjoyable because towards the tail is a nice surprise of sweet red beans which are some of my favourite dessert items. You can sometimes taste the addition of salt but I am a huge fan of this type of waffle. However even though they here are obviously freshly made, mine tasted a bit cold and I suspect it was because they had been making the waffles in bulk to subsidise for the long queues that day. 


I ended up coming here a few weeks later to find that their soft serve flavours have changed! They are now either Strawberry Cheesecake or Blue Lemonade. Both sound delicious. This is also starting to remind me of Aqua S upstairs with this type of flavour change in soft serves. Along with that, it seems Zero Degree's prices and structure have changed. The puffer fish ice cream doesn't come with the fruit stick anymore. You have to buy that separately and it costs around $2 I think? 

Puffer Fish Ice Cream in Strawberry Cheesecake
Being the cheapo I am, I decided to go sans the fruit stick. And being with my strawberry-loving boyfriend, I went with the strawberry cheesecake flavour. I didn't realise you could get both these flavours swirled, MY BAD. Anyway this flavour is sooooo good!! It kind of tastes a bit artificial like strawberry milk but being the basic, easy-to-please kind of couple we are we really liked it. There is a slight tang from the cheesecake flavour which is also a welcome addition to the flavour. It's still a little icy but much creamier than the last puffer fish I had. As for the waffle, I think they also pre-made this waffle (even though there was no crowd) because the server went to the back to assemble the order and he was finished in less than 2 minutes. The waffle was still warm though so it's not chewy or gross, thankfully!

"Hey mummmm, just eating some fish ice cream"
"Cai gi........." 


We really enjoyed that last puffer fish there! EVEN THOUGH FRANCIS ATE MORE THAN HALF OF IT. I would love to come back to try their popsicles and bingsoo and it would be perfect as the weather is starting to get warmer. For now, I think their puffer fish ice creams are pretty decent. For the price though, it's kind of expensive and you're really just paying for the novelty of the fish waffle. But hey it's fun, pretty and it tastes alright so if you're in the area, give it a go! 


TL;DR:
Price: Puffer fish is kind of expensive
Quality: Decent, small issues
Service: Nice, efficient
Ambience: Trendy



Zero Degrees
Shop 52, 501 George St
Sydney NSW 2000

Open 7 days a week
12 PM - 10 PM

Zero Degrees Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

1 comments



  1. The blogs are really appreciable and one can trust the knowledge and information provided in the writing.
    The article you do produce on a weekly base really the best. I have found a similar
    website Gelato Cake visit the site to know more about Pure Gelato.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe