Rice Master Mr Wu, Broadway

Monday, December 05, 2016


Good afternoon all! I was scrolling through my Blogger drafts and to my surprise I found this post. I thought I had posted this months ago but turns out I had probably forgotten. My bad! I hope you enjoy this post :)

Up on Broadway's Fusion level, sandwiched in between Zeus and the Sushi places is Rice Master Mr Wu. Their speciality is undoubtedly rice dishes. The space is large and restaurant like, being quite separate from the food court as they even have their own enclosed 'outdoor' and 'indoor' dining area. When venturing up here with Vanessa on our foodie trails this is the first place we decided to start at. The reason was because the waitress out the front was so friendly and inviting as well as there being a lunch special on offer.






Lots of different styles of rice!





Open kitchen.


Vanessa and I decide to sit 'indoors' as it was very quiet and we had so much choice of seating. The indoor decor is very pretty painting up an oriental and sophisticated vibe. The lights on the ceiling are caged in open baskets as the lighting is quite minimal and dim. There is some art on the walls and shelfs of interesting tea pots and cups.

Also each table is set out with real ceramic cups, sauce dishes and plates. They're quite heavy as well!


Coca Cola & Sprite

Our $15 lunch deal (each) comes with a choice of mains from the provided menu and soft drink. Kind of expensive for Chinese food to be honest, but we did have high hopes so we also ordered an entree each on top of things. 

My main: Wok Fried Hokkien Noodles in Special Sauce $14

After ordering this I realised I should've ordered a rice dish because we're at Rice Master Mr Wu!! But I love the thick and chewy Hokkien noodles so I was keen anyway. At first look, my first thought was "Wow what a small amount of noodles, it's loaded with veggies" but by the end of this meal I was surprisingly full. There's actually a nice amount of noodles in this pile as well as the observed generous amount of vegetables (broccoli, Chinese broccoli, snow peas, red and yellow capsicum). As for the "special sauce" I'm very confused on if they forgot or if it was very subtle. . I couldn't taste any sauce at all. It was bland and but also to note, not even oily. I found myself reaching for the soy sauce on the table many many times. 

Ooh also upon looking at its description on the regular non-lunch special menu, the veggies included are different. They said there would be asparagus, onion and sugar snap peas - but pretty sure that got replaced by the snow peas.

Vanessa's: Spicy Chilli Chicken with Peanuts and Egg Fried Rice $20

In my opinion this looks so visually appealing because there is such a nice contrast of the warm colours - red, orange and yellow. The first bite was delicious - the sticky sauce coating the generously plump cuts of chicken was sweet and tangy with a light heat, and the egg rice was fluffy and fragrant. However after a few more bites it became a bit sickening by how sweet and tangy it all was as well as the rice was oily underneath. It reminded me of eating Light & Tangy chips. And it became apparent that the dried chillies in the dish were not contributing much "spicy" at all. I think this dish really needed the spice because there was nothing to cut away from the sweetness. In the end this dish we're sad to say we didn't enjoy this dish at all.


Steamed BBQ Pork Buns $8

You get three buns! Each is light and fluffy with a generous amount of BBQ pork inside. Really delicious with nothing to fault.

Steamed Prawn Dumplings $10

You get four dumplings. The skin is very thick but overall it's a really decent dumpling.


Overall I found our experience at Rice Master Mr Wu's to be only decent at best. It is quite pricy even on the lunch deal and both our dishes weren't exactly amazing. I did love the BBQ pork buns and the whole dining atmosphere though so that may count for something. Anyway I'm glad we had the chance to dine here as it's one of the stand out restaurants on Broadway's food and fashion fusion level. 

Let me know if you've been here and what did you order! I'd love to hear about it :) 

Thank you for reading! xx



TL;DR:
Price: Expensive
Quality: Decent, not anything special
Service: Friendly at the front, okay on the inside
Atmosphere: Sophisticated, oriental


Rice Master Mr. Wu on Broadway
Level 2 Broadway Shopping Centre,
1 Bay St,
Broadway NSW 2007

Open 7 days a week
10 AM - 9 PM (Sunday - Wednesday)
10 AM - 10 PM (Thursday, Friday)
9 AM - 10 PM (Saturday)

Rice Master Mr. Wu Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. ShopaSave offers cashback rewards which enables users to get a portion of their Cash back when purchase is made Instore or Online.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe