Buttermelt Cafe, Strathfield

Friday, December 09, 2016


A few weeks ago I caught up with a high school friend I haven't seen in a long time, FIONA! Of course me and my high school girls are still really close-knit and the Facebook group chat is as active as can be, but we don't get to see each other everyday of the working week anymore and that's one of the things I miss the most. Also as we're all moving around, it makes it even more difficult so I'm thankful for these catch up dates when they come around.

Together with Fiona and Anne-mary, we chose to try out Buttermelt Cafe in Strathfield as our location. I'm in Strathfield nearly every day passing by for the train to university so I haven't had time to check out this place that people rave about as having "really good pancakes". Also it closes really early at 5PM so no chance even after uni.



We don't miss the location as it stands out with the bright yellow sofas out the front. Additionally when you tell the girls Buttermelt Cafe is located "where Moochi used to be", no doubt can anyone miss it (RIP MOOCHI AND NOGGI). However as cute as these yellow sofas are, it's rainy on this day so we decide to sit inside.



The inside of this cafe is very tiny with a small amount of tables and stools placed about. The yellow lamps, random pops of fresh colour, and leafy decoration all build for a really cute garden vibe. There isn't much people in here so it isn't noisy at all.

You can grab a menu off the counter and bring it back to your seating before going back to order at the counter. I'm really disappointed to find out that the menu has since changed and instead of being pancake-oriented, they have very "brunchy" items. I'm really in the mood for pancakes though so I order the Ricotta Hotcakes in hopes they live up to the former rave people have about Buttermelt's pancakes.

Also big FYI, there's no bathroom on-site so you would have to travel across the road into the plaza if you needed to go. In the time it takes for someone to do that, our warm drinks arrive!

Earl Grey Latte (Regular) $3.80

It comes in a unique red cup! So cute! If you know me, you will know I LOVE my earl grey tea and I have boxes of those teabags hoarded in my room. I've never actually seen an earl grey latte on the menu so I gleefully ordered this. It was very soft, creamy and fragrant. Loved it.

Fiona's: Flat White (Regular) $3.50

Anne-mary's: Green Tea Latte (Regular) $3.80

This had the most nicest coffee art out of all our drinks! 
However Anne-mary reported that this was on the grainier side.


Food took a bit longer. to come out as you can tell by this photo below where we all got impatient and started on our drinks. I really planned to wait it out but then I got kind of impatient too and stirred my latte. As soon as I did the food arrived :'( It was a bit inconsistent the timing so Fiona started on her food first.



Ricotta Hotcakes with blueberries, maple syrup, seeds, mascarpone $16.50

Wow I did not expect the hotcakes to be so huge! There are two hotcakes and they are about the size of my head. It also came with some cubes of peaches on top of the vanilla ice cream scoop and with lots of stewed berries. Unfortunately as beautiful as it looked, this was quite a let down. The hotcakes were so thick and dense. I did love how they were rich tasting and weren't sweet because everything else on the plate is sweet. But eventually half way through the first hotcake, I wasn't enjoying these anymore because I felt so full and bored of the flavours already. The nutty sprinkle of seeds on top of the butter was my saviour though because I love the contrast of salty on sweet!

Fiona's: Avocado on Sourdough w/ Smoked salmon & Fresh vegetables $16

This looks so healthy! 
There's an assortment of vegetables such as watercress, cherry tomatoes, broad beans, kale, beetroot/olive etc. Also a sprinkle of quinoa and feta cheese on this slice of crusty sourdough.

Anne-mary's: Eggs Benedict w/ Smoked Salmon & Hollandaise sauce $14.50

So pretty! We were trying to figure out what the cubes in this brunch were and I think we came up with the conclusion that they are potatoes? Anyway a decent eggs Benedict with lots of fresh ingredients (vegetables almost similar to the toast above) and two nicely poached eggs on an English muffin!


Overall this wasn't the best place to have brunch but it's decent because it's so local. The price is quite expensive for the food but the drinks were good! There are other really interesting sounding things on the menu so I may be back to try them but as most of them stand at an over $15 price point, it won't be anything I'm rushing back to any time soon.

Let me know if you've been here post-menu change and what your experience was like. I really want to hear all about it :) Thank you for reading xx


Note: Jasmine was meant to come as well but she was late so we actually went to eat again! Click here to find out about where we went next.


TL;DR:
Price: Mostly over $15 for food, drinks are decently priced
Quality: Fresh
Service: Not friendly nor rude
Ambience: Small and cute



Buttermelt Cafe
Shop 11, 7-9 Churchill Avenue,
Strathfield NSW 2135

Open 7 days a week

8AM - 5PM

Buttermelt Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe