The Hub House Diner, Broadway

Wednesday, November 02, 2016


Riding past this place nearly everyday on the bus to uni (yes I'm that lazy) has made me real curious as to who is succeeding in the former Soul Origin's place on Broadway. The outside always looks bright and friendly as the place has a nice orange theme to it and the doors are wide open.

Originally I was going to stop by with Francis sometime but on this random unplanned event, my sister and I were the ones stopping by as the $5 mid wings and $5 popcorn chicken signs caught our eyes!



Do you see the $5?

We had actually just eaten a late lunch with my friends Vanessa and Claudia but upon looking over the menu board, everything actually still sounded so tempting and delicious. Walked in for some $5 chicken but ended up ordering a burger and concrete shake as well because we're already here so why not! The food is very American themed/inspired.



Service is very quick and friendly, but it's a shame there is no option to upgrade the drink in the +$5 combo (chips and drinks) to a concrete shake. A concrete shake by the way is their soft serve textured shakes that come in some fun and unique flavours such as Peanut Butter Butterscotch, Nutella, NY Cheesecake and Coffee.


There is limited seating available by the counter and window and I can see it getting a little cramped once the place gets busy. Luckily we're here around 6pm when it's quite empty on this day. You're given a number from the counter and they bring out the food to you when it's all ready. On every table, there is a ketchup bottle hahaha


NY Cheesecake Concrete Shake $8.50

This is the first thing that comes out and we're both really excited to try it as we're big fans of cheesecake! It does not disappoint as it is so cold, creamy, sweet and got that nice cheesecake tang. I can definitely see what they mean when they describe is a "concrete" and "soft textured" at the same time because it tastes like a blended up cheesecake in a milkshake. It gets super sweet towards the end so this is not something to take lightly!


The other foods we ordered come out shortly after and they both look SO AMAZING...


🙌  🙌  🙌

Tipsy Pig Burger w/ seasoned pork, jack cheese, bourbon sticky onion, lettuce and old bay aioli $11
+ Combo (Fries and Drink) $5

This pork burger stood out to me on the menu because even though all the other choices sounded mouthwatering, I thought it was very unique to eat a pork burger. I'm really pleased to let you guys know that this did not disappoint! From the first bite I was like oh my goooooddddness. The pork is perfectly seasoned and very juicy. I really like the bourbon sticky onions as they are like a smokey caramelised onion which are very more-ish. The buns of this burger are very "American-style" and I wouldn't call it a brioche but more like soft spongy buns. I'm pretty sure you guys will know what I mean. Everything in this burger goes SO well, the only thing I would add is pickles because I love pickles and it might provide a cut from the extreme creaminess that is this burger but other than that it's really damn good. 

The chips come in such an overwhelming and generous portion. Not only that but they are the perfect chips being crispy & evenly seasoned on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. 

Mid Wings w/ Southern Coating, 5pc for $5

No tips here, all mid wing sections of the chicken wing. The "Southern coating" tastes very peppery which I liked. However my sister didn't like it. We're not sure what other spices went into this coating but pepper is all we could taste. The mid wings were all juicy, not a single one dry - but the coating did not hold on very well. One bite in and the entire coating would kind of just fall off. It's not a major problem but definitely kind of strange to us.


In the end we walked out of the Hub House Diner with a take-away box in hand full of chips which we happily nommed on the train home. Our little dining experience was really fantastic here and I really hope to come back to try their other burgers such as the Just Jack and Phat Chicken! A friend of mine also recommended the Veg Burger which I would also love to try.

All students around this area or even workers and passerbys, I encourage you to try out this fast food place! Let me know if you do, or if you have and how it went for you. Keen to return.

Thanks for reading, everyone! xx


TL;DR:
Price: Bit pricier than normal quick eats
Quality: Good
Service: Good
Ambience: Bright and friendly, fast food vibes



The Hub House Diner
13/185-211 Broadway,
Ultimo NSW 2007

Open Monday - Saturday

10AM - 10PM

The Hub House Diner Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe