Bon Japanese Restaurant, Canterbury

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Happy June, everyone! IT'S MY BIRTHDAY MONTH so if you have any suggestions for where I can dine at to celebrate my birthday that would be greatly appreciated. Last year, Vanessa took me to Saké which was so lovely 😍

A few weeks ago, I went on a date with a guy who took us to have dinner at Bon Japanese Restaurant in Canterbury. Really happy because this means I get a restaurant review out of it too hehe! Let's talk about the restaurant itself first since I only had time and courage to take photos of the food. The restaurant is really small and cosy. The lighting is quite dim which gives it that soft and casual feel. 

I admit it could've been an extremely perfect date location but what comes with being a smaller restaurant is that it gets extremely busy. Bon is also quite popular and I highly recommend you do your best to make a booking in advance if you choose to visit this place. It will help you secure a spot! We didn't make a booking when we went here but we were SO lucky to still be able to get a table and have most of the food we wanted to try be available. The owner who served us advised us that since we didn't have a booking, our food might take much longer to all be ready - say over half an hour? But it turns out the time the food was served was absolutely fine. It didn't all come out at once but it came in a perfect sequential as soon as we were about to finish each plate. STILL, I say make a booking if you're coming here!

We started off with some drinks and besides the alcohol section they have a small selection of Japanese teas and soda. Getting to know each other was a little difficult over how loud and noisy this little restaurant and I must've asked "What?" like a billion times 😂 One of my worst nightmares because I hate having to repeat myself to be honest. 

But thankfully our first order arrived early and we then had more to do than just try to hear each other over the noise:

Assorted Sushi and Sashimi (Small)

Such a lovely and colourful little platter with a nice range of choices! I still don't know my sashimi names very well but as you can see there's quite a few different ones. In terms of taste, the sashimi was okay but not the best. I found the salmon to be slightly stringy, and the tuna to be unusually dry. I would like to assume it was fresh but the textures certainly were disappointing. 

The nigiri sushi was nice, but the maki rolls were too big for me and leaving them aside for the duration of the meal really turned the wrapped seaweed into a chewy mess. 

Pork Gyoza $8

This arrived on a sizzling hot plate and all 5 pieces of gyoza had a beautiful golden brown crispiness to them! A tasty pork filling, although I was left mores unimpressed with how oily this entire dish was.  

Scampi Nigiri

I think this was listed on a separate special menu at a pretty expensive price but my date ordered this for us anyway because I mentioned I had never tried scampi before. This was literally the highlight of the entire dinner because hands down: Best. Nigiri. Ever!!!! The rice was much softer than that of the sushi on our assorted plate, and each had a small and very welcome dab of wasabi. This was topped with the most fresh, sweet and succulent piece of scampi sashimi ever! It was slightly seared and garnished with sauces and roe and oh my goodness it was sooooo good. I would come back just for this because that is how much I loved it.

Taro Chips

When we ordered taro chips we did not expect for it to look like this! The taro chips were round semi spheres deep fried and topped with a drizzle of what I believe is tonkatsu sauce, and lots of parmesan cheese. It was quite nice but very unexpected! The taste reminded me of a chicken flavour like Double Decker chips haha

Torigara Soy Ramen $11

And last but not least, the ramen! Torigara wasn't the first choice as Tonkotsu was so what did I say about enquiring in advance? Anyway torigara ramen at Bon stands for a chicken soup stock with kaeshi, which is a dashi stock base. The ramen also has lots of toppings in it such as chashu (sliced roast pork), black fungi, bamboo shoots, soy marinated egg, shallots, beansprouts and sesame seeds. In the end though, we both found the ramen to be very bland and disappointing. 


Overall the Japanese food at Bon wasn't that great to me but my date thought much more highly of it than I did. I do think the food is generally very simple and it goes very well with the cosy and casual vibe of the restaurant, but because of how noisy it was in there I wouldn't take anyone except a group of friends here who are likely to be just as loud haha! 

Let me know in the comments if you have been here and how your experience was, xx



TL;DR:
Price: Affordable
Quality: Decent at best
Service: Friendly
Ambience: Cosy and casual, but when busy - loud and noisy


Bon Japanese Restaurant
163 Canterbury Road,
Canterbury NSW 2193

Open Wednesday - Monday

Lunch: 12PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: 5:30PM - 10PM

Bon Japanese Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Kimmiebites is the best restaurant that I would visit at least every month!
    - seth at merehead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing great information about Bon Japanese Restaurant. It is difficult to find the Best Indian Restaurant in East Melbourne. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much appreciated such a great amount for this data. I need to tell you I agree on a few of the focuses you make here and others might require some further survey, however I can see your perspective. Discount codes UK

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe