Blooming Lotus, Newtown

Monday, September 03, 2018


When my dad invited me to eat lunch, I had no idea that he would take us all the way to Newtown and into this little hole-in-the-wall style shop. Blossoming Lotus is a Thai Vegetarian/Vegan eatery that has been a well-loved staple in Newtown's food scene.

Despite having made many lunch time trips to Newtown over the past years during uni, I never gave this restaurant a second thought. But with the growing trend in finding healthy and sustainable ways to eat, I'm all open to trying new things!

We almost miss this place until my dad looks into the shop and decides, yes this is the place he wanted to bring us to. At the front of the shop there is a little hot food bar where you can choose some vegetarian and vegan dishes to accompany rice or noodles. Sorry I didn't get any photos of that but you can perhaps see it at an angle below!


Right behind it is cool display cabinet filled with some sweets for dessert!

The wooden tables and metal chairs at Blossoming Lotus are worn down from many years of use and in a way it feels quite humbling. There really is nothing special about the decor except the back wall which exudes a spiritual presence from the Buddhist shrine.



My dad and I opt for the cheap lunch time deal. Where you can pick 2 choices with rice or noodles for under $10! What a bargain! Of course as all the dishes are out display in the hot food bar, you instantly receive your food and can sit down. There is also the option of a la carte for those interested.


Looking good!



My dish: Fried Noodles with Mock Meat slices & Stir fried Vegetables and tofu

This honestly looked so good to me. It was a beautiful looking mess. I didn't expect vegan food to look any more inviting than a tofu and vegetable salad but when I saw this with all the warm colours and seasonings from the chilli, pepper, soy and oil I felt very excited.

The noodles themselves were standard hokkien noodles that are often on offer at the Chinese food court eateries. Definitely on the oily side though. The mock meat.. I couldn't decide which meat it was trying to imitate but I'd go with pork. It was made out of bean shaped and cut into slices. While the texture varied with it often being obvious it was beans due to the chunkiness, the deep and savoury soy sauce taste was really nice! As for the vegetable and tofu stir fry, it was also really oily but nicely flavoured with lots of fresh black pepper.


Dad's dish: Rice with Mock Black Bean Beef and Pumpkin

The rice is a much lighter option as opposed to the noodles I ordered (while you might have the thought that the food won't be filling, I can assure you it is just as substantial as a non vegetarian meal). They are an inviting yellow colour with a slightly fragrant aroma.

The mock black bean beef is delicious with the main ingredients being a soft eggplant. The sauce is dark, sticky and rich. As for the pumpkin it had a slight curry flavour and was perfectly soft and tender.




Dessert: Banana Sticky Rice

My dad said the last time he visited this place, he had the taro sticky rice and it was soft and divine. I ordered the banana one as it is my favourite! I love how they offer to warm it up for you if you dine in. It comes neatly wrapped in the traditional banana leaves and upon opening it up, a log of banana sticky rice is revealed. The pretty purple of the banana means that the sugars have reacted and changed colours in the steaming process. 

Unfortunately it seems to be an off day as my sticky rice, even after being warmed up feels and tastes very dry.





Overall it was very fun to try something new for lunch. The vegan and vegetarian food at Blossoming Lotus is very delicious and filling. But I do find it a bit oily for my tastes. I've heard that the mock duck is a must-try here so if I'm ever in the area I'll definitely be keen to try it! At this low price point, I highly recommend everyone discover this place.








TL;DR:
Price: Nearly everything is under $15, very affordable
Quality: Tasty foods, unsure if fresh
Service: Nice and thoughtful
Ambience: Hole-in-the-wall style eatery, not one to loiter or hang at after eating



Blossoming Lotus
182 King Street
Newtown NSW 2042

Open 7 days a week

11AM - 10PM


Blossoming Lotus Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe