USYD O-WEEK 2016 x FABSOC

Thursday, February 25, 2016

GOOD MORNING! 

YES IF YOU LOOK AT THE TITLE THIS IS A DELAYED POST.

I drafted this post a few days ago to post during O-Week but I was so busy and tired that I didn't get the chance to post this! Great, now its already the first week of Uni. Go me!

So this is different kind of post here today..

You may have heard of FABSOC somewhere before. The Fashion and Beauty Society. There is a branch at USYD, UNSW, MACQ, UWA, University of Melbourne, and as of 2016 - ANU & UTS. And what is my connection? Well, I'm USYD FABSOC's current Promotions Director! How I came to be in this role is quite a random story that I'll save for another day but I am really loving being apart of this society! It's super stressful but I have always liked being kept busy and I'm really learning so so much :) The team has become very small over the holiday so the remaining have all taken on more roles than they usually do. I've volunteered to become the designated receiver for all sponsored material sent to FABSOC. 

Theres been like 826398793729832 boxes sent to my house over the past 2 months HAHA (It's exciting because I love receiving things but then it's not exciting because it takes up so much room). This is because in wonderful FABSOC tradition, every university orientation week/day we offer free membership and free goodie bags to all new sign ups! I'm pretty sure this is what a lot of people love about the society and I know in my first year of uni, this is what made me interested.

So on Monday of last week we had a packing day where the executive team and some volunteers got together and we packed all the sponsored promotional material received into those neat little goodie bags. A big shoutout to Annie, Emily, Vicky, Michelle, Jeremy, Anne and Anne-mary for all their hard work! 


Working super hard and packing from day to night, we managed to pack a total of 1000 bags! This somewhat doesn't sound like too much but IT IS A LOT and IT TOOK SO LONG! I'm sooooo thankful to all the packing team, you guys are the real MVPs!

I'm also thankful to all the sponsors who sent us stuff! They are so generous!


We had our first day of O-Week on Wednesday (USYD one starts on a Wednesday and goes till Friday) and it was pretty fun! I love talking to the new members even though I find myself repeating what I have said to different members a lot because they always ask what activities we do. I was thinking the first day would be REALLY crowdy but it wasn't and I blame it mostly on our area. Fabsoc is situated in a very random stall this year and the people who printed the O-Week map made a printing error and completely forgot about our society!

Thursday was even more quiet as expected (hottest day of the week, 34 degrees) but towards the end, a lot of people starting coming over!

And I feel like Friday was the busiest day! We also had high school students coming over since a lot of high schools seemed to have taken their senior classes over for an excursion type of day (wish we did this in high school). But we also finished up early this day and had lots of people rush over :)

About the rest of O-Week I did take some time to walk around and join other societies and collect freebies! The ACCESS tent was so cool, had its only chill area with giant pool floaties, free water, brekky and watermelon, and at one point - Glue even gave everyone free bucket hats! For the societies, I've joined UNIT, WoSoc, SMS, and VSA. Didn't get to join all the societies I intended to because no money. To add, I'm also a general executive at V-Gen (World Vision Generation) but I sadly didn't have any time to help them talk to new potential members and collect sign ups :( Anyway USYD O-Week is actually pretty great, I would recommend it to everyone!

Definitely take some time to view all the photos from FABSOC here, but heres a few of my favourites:



Friday night was the best feeling!

As was sleeping in this weekend.

But my holiday has flown by so fast I am so sad it's over :(


p.s. I forgot to mention yesterday was also such a good day because I MET LINDA FROM LEENDADPRODUCTIONS AND SHE'S SO SO LOVELY AND I LOVE HER AND MY FANGIRL HEART JUST WENT KABOOM :'''') 

I am already uncool and potato-like and standing next to someone as gorgeous as Linda...


But it's okay because I will always remember the moment I bumped into her randomly in the toilet and she still gave all us fangirls a hug and so nice and cool and down to earth and kawaii and pretty and answered all our questions and then I bumped into her again at unibros and she smiled hello at me and aw omg I'm so star struck ♥ !!!

Okay SEEEEE YAAAAAAAA xxxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe